Posts Tagged ‘Wrexham’

Conservation work- Wrexham Workhouse Collection

October 23, 2015

We do not have a conservator as part of our service and we rely upon external grants to fund most conservation work needed. This year, we have received part-funding from The Friends of the Clwyd Archives to restore seven admission/discharge registers from the Wrexham poor law union collection.

The registers offer a wealth of information on individuals in the Wrexham area including details such as name; dates of admission and discharge; work/profession (if any); religion; age and parish of inmates. Unfortunately the fragile condition of the registers meant that increased use would have led to further damage. Registers dated March 1890-October 1907 (GD/C/60/1-3) have been completed with later registers due to be repaired over the next six months.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The conservation work- by Mark Allen, Conservator at Flintshire Record Office

The Denbighshire workhouse registers are very large and unwieldy volumes that have been bound in half leather with cloth sidings. Many have lost their spines and have severely damaged corners. Conservation work began by cleaning each folio within the book with a vinyl eraser and soft brush. The corners of the boards have been built up using hemp fibres and starch paste with a lining of Japanese paper. The cloth sidings have been repaired using archival linen in the areas over the board edges where the original cloth had been abraded and lost. A new spine hollow has been constructed using acid –free card and goatskin has been prepared by paring it to the required thickness. The new leather is inserted underneath the existing leather and new headcaps are formed.

The extensive repair work will enable the registers to be digitised in the future without incurring further losses. Each volume following conservation treatment will now be stored in a bespoke phase box which will protect the register from harmful exposure to light, dust and will prevent further abrasion ensuring safe storage and access for the future.

We are very grateful to The Friends of Clwyd Archives for their contribution to this conservation project. If you would like to join the Friends, click here for details.

Two Hundred and Fifty Miles through North Wales: Day 1, Part 3

April 7, 2011

After lunch at the Feathers Hotel and a stroll around Wrexham, the group travelled towards Llangollen through Ruabon and the colliery district of Acrefair.

Suttons Trade Directory, 1889-90

Suttons Trade Directory, 1889-90 showing Jenkins & Jones timber merchants, Johnstown. Available to view at Denbighshire Archives.

At 1.35 we left Wrexham en route for Ruabon 6 miles distant. We were soon stopped by a Dr Fletcher and Lady of Chester who enquire the way to Llangollen. They were evidently touring, same as ourselves. We let them lead on through Ross [Rhosllanerchrugog] and Johnstown, at the latter place we pass the sign “Jenkins and Jones Timber Merchants”. This was, as the song says, “quite Welshy you know”. A very narrow gauge tram line runs on to Johnstown, those who are accustomed to seeing the tram lines in large cities would think these lines were only large enough for a wheelbarrow. Great was our surprise at overtaking a two horse tram car on so narrow a gauge.

Up the hill we pass our Doctor friend whom we saw soon after out of the trap walking to ease his horse. There are evidently some colliers in this neighbourhood and sitting on a donkey cart load full of coals. We arrived at Ruabon at 2.15 but did not stop. We pass on en route to Llangollen leaving the entrance to Wynnstay Park on our left through a colliery district called Acrefair. On past Tref-y-Nant post office getting a fine view of the viaduct on our left and past Trevor Station, at 2.50, on the left of the hill. To our right we come in sight of Crow Castle, better known as Castle Dinas Bran, with Plas Newydd to our left and the old Church where our friend Mr. Ovey is buried on the right.