Posts Tagged ‘Puffin Island’

Two Hundred and Fifty Miles through North Wales: Day 6, Part 1

August 11, 2011

The group spend the rest of the morning in Bangor visiting the Cathedral. They describe the main street in Bangor and the views of Puffin Island and Llandudno.

Britannia Bridge

DD/DM/1113- Picture of The Britannia Bridge from the original diary 'Two hundred and fifty miles through North Wales on a wagonette'

Sixth Day

Saturday 20th September 1890

Bangor to Aber, Llanfairfechan, Penmaenmawr, Conway and Llandudno.

It had been raining during the night, this had not prevented on the ladies rising early, the excuse for this being that her husband took all the room, she threatened vengeance if he did the same at the next stopping place.  After a good breakfast at our lodgings (where the charges were rather high) we had a walk round Bangor, there is nothing of interest to visitors except the Cathedral, which is of so plain a character as scarcely to deserve a special visit. This Cathedral is a low structure erected in the year 525.  In 1402 it was burnt down in the rebellion of Owen Glyndwr, and remained in ruins for nearly a century, the Choir was built in the Reign of Henry the Seventh, the tower and nave were built in 1532, Owen Gwynedd  Prince of North Wales was buried in 1169.  The heart of Bishop Skeffington was buried here in 1530, his body being buried at Beaulieu in Hampshire.

The houses in the in the main street of the city stand low, and are shut out from any pleasant prospect from the houses.  On the high grounds you get pleasant views across the Menai Straits of the Buckley Monument and a little higher up we have the Menai and Tubular Bridges, and Beaumaris and other places on the Island of Anglesea [Anglesey].  Beaumaris is a pretty little place with a very old ivy clad Castle you also get a good view of Puffin Island, in the distance Great Ormes head Llandudno.