Posts Tagged ‘Beaumaris’

Two Hundred and Fifty Miles through North Wales: Day 6, Part 2

August 18, 2011
The group leave Bangor and describe the ‘fine view of Penrhyn Castle in all it’s beauty’. They travel through Llandegai and Abergwyngregyn arriving at Llanfairfechan described as ‘a pretty watering place with a fine sandy beach’.
Penmaenmawr

DD/DM/1113- Picture of Penmaenmawr from the original diary 'Two hundred and fifty miles through North Wales on a wagonette'

We leave Bangor at 9.30, on our left we get a fine view of Puffin Island (near here the Royal Charter was wrecked), and Beaumaris. Our pleasure here is stopped by a downpour of rain which necessitates stopping to arrange rugs umbrellas etc.  We soon arrive at the park walls of Penrhyn Castle, through a break in the trees we get a glimpse of the Castle.  We pass the splendid Castle gates and then have a lovely drive up a road thick with trees either side, bending over and forming a lovely tower.  We pass on to a second lot of entrance gates, we drive up the hill where we get another fine view of Puffin Island, Beaumaris and the Buckley Monument, and on looking back, get a fine view of Penrhyn Castle in all its beauty.  This Castle is the residence of Lord Penrhyn and is situated in the midst of a thickly timbered park on an eminence overlooking Beaumaris Bay and the entrance to the Straits; it is situated two miles from Bangor Station.  The Park is surrounded by a wall seven miles in circuit, the Castle is a fine modern mansion but built in the old style resembling a Norman stronghold, the great tower or keep being copied from Rochester Castle the interior is richly decorated, and in the inside are all kinds of furniture made of slate from the Penrhyn Quarries, in one of the bedrooms is a four post bedstead made entirely from slate. 

We proceed on a short distance until we get to the model village of Llandegar[Llandegai] with its pretty Church, this is approached by a thick avenue of yews.  We drive through the rain to the charming hamlet of Aber, here there are some splendid waterfalls and glens a little wide to our left is the Railway Station and Bulkeley Arms.  We pass a pretty Church which attracted my special attention, being built of slate stone with white stone facings.  After driving for some few miles and passing a very fine building of Castle like appearance on our left we arrive at Llanfairfechan which is a pretty watering place with a fine sandy beach, it stands out to sea with the Great Ormes head in view on the right.  It was an insignificant village until the late Mr John Platt M. P. from Oldham went to live there, he enlarged Bryn y Neuadd converted it in to an elegant mansion, and made other improvements in the neighbourhood. 

Records relating to Conwy are held by Conwy Archive Service.  More information about their holdings is available at http://www.conwy.gov.uk/archives

Two Hundred and Fifty Miles through North Wales: Day 6, Part 1

August 11, 2011

The group spend the rest of the morning in Bangor visiting the Cathedral. They describe the main street in Bangor and the views of Puffin Island and Llandudno.

Britannia Bridge

DD/DM/1113- Picture of The Britannia Bridge from the original diary 'Two hundred and fifty miles through North Wales on a wagonette'

Sixth Day

Saturday 20th September 1890

Bangor to Aber, Llanfairfechan, Penmaenmawr, Conway and Llandudno.

It had been raining during the night, this had not prevented on the ladies rising early, the excuse for this being that her husband took all the room, she threatened vengeance if he did the same at the next stopping place.  After a good breakfast at our lodgings (where the charges were rather high) we had a walk round Bangor, there is nothing of interest to visitors except the Cathedral, which is of so plain a character as scarcely to deserve a special visit. This Cathedral is a low structure erected in the year 525.  In 1402 it was burnt down in the rebellion of Owen Glyndwr, and remained in ruins for nearly a century, the Choir was built in the Reign of Henry the Seventh, the tower and nave were built in 1532, Owen Gwynedd  Prince of North Wales was buried in 1169.  The heart of Bishop Skeffington was buried here in 1530, his body being buried at Beaulieu in Hampshire.

The houses in the in the main street of the city stand low, and are shut out from any pleasant prospect from the houses.  On the high grounds you get pleasant views across the Menai Straits of the Buckley Monument and a little higher up we have the Menai and Tubular Bridges, and Beaumaris and other places on the Island of Anglesea [Anglesey].  Beaumaris is a pretty little place with a very old ivy clad Castle you also get a good view of Puffin Island, in the distance Great Ormes head Llandudno.