Researchers and Enquiries
1454 researchers used our office during 2013 consulting 3836 original documents. Local history is the most popular subject for research accounting for 47% of our researchers, closely followed by family history accounting for 41% of researchers. Other reasons for research include school and college students, teaching professionals carrying out research for lessons and lectures, researchers working on publications and legal/official enquiries.
We answered 1153 enquiries by post, email or telephone.
Events and Groups
524 visitors attended events during 2013 including Open Doors in September, a North Wales Hospital lecture, family history sessions and palaeography [how to read older forms of handwriting] training. In total 16 public events were held onsite.
A number of local groups visited us for a talk or tour including the North East Wales Carers Information Service (NEWCIS), Henllan Women’s Institute, Llansannan Family History Group and Glyndwr University students.
Cataloguing and Accessions
You can keep an eye on our new accessions on The National Archives survey here.
56 new accessions were recorded during the year including;
- Henllan Parish Records (PD/38- additional collection)
- Corwen Community Council minutes (PCD/104 – additional collection)
- Records of Ysgol Carrog/Carrog Council School (ED/104A)
- Ruabon Parish Records (PD/89- additional collection)
- Records of Llangollen Eisteddfod (DD/LE- additional collection)
- Sales particulars for various properties (DD/DM/1825)
- Diary of Lt Col A.E. Jerman serving in the Royal Army Medical Corp 1915-1916 (DD/DM/1827)
- Bryneglwys Parish Council records (PCD/11- additional collection)
- Scrapbook relating to Denbighshire County Girl Guides (DD/DM/1566-additional collection)
- Scrapbook relating to Denbigh Infirmary (DD/DM/1838)
- Selection of photographs of Prestatyn (PPD/120- additional collection)
We now have 16 regular volunteers helping us with numerous projects such as:
- Cleaning records
- Creating a searchable index of the North Wales Hospital patients
- Improvement and digitisation of the catalogues for our school records
In total our volunteers have contributed over 263 hours of volunteer time during 2013. We have had 4 students on work experience placements.
Thank you to all our researchers and volunteers, we have had a very productive and busy year!