Work has now completed on a collection of documents and papers at Denbighshire Archives, taken from the home of Miss Edna Hughes in Bersham Road, Wrexham. The Hughes family purchased 4 Bersham Road in 1895, renaming it Glyndŵr because of the connection of the owner, Edward Hughes, with the family of Owain Glyndŵr.
Edward Hughes was born in Oswestry in 1862, although his family came from Llansilin. He later owned a cottage there called Frydlyn which became the family’s second home and many summers were spent there.
An accountant by profession, and with a large number of business interests, he was also a local historian and genealogist. He became one of the most influential and prominent people in Wrexham. He was a magistrate, borough councillor, alderman and Freeman of Wrexham, Denbighshire County Councillor, landlord and property developer.
During the First World War, he served as quartermaster to the Denbighshire Volunteer Regiment (2nd Battalion of the Royal Welch Fusiliers) with the rank of lieutenant. He also served on the military tribunal for Denbighshire, and travelled throughout North Wales swearing in recruits in Welsh. He was awarded an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) for his work in 1918.
Married to Margaret Armstrong in 1888, they had three daughters, – Gwendoline (1889-1970), Dorothy (1890-1954) and Edna (1894-1982). All three lived at Glyndŵr throughout their lives and died unmarried.
Edward Hughes died on Christmas Eve 1938 aged 76 and his wife Margaret died 8th July 1947 aged 85.
The Glyndŵr collection (with over 4,000 items) is a record of one remarkable family’s contribution to the life of Wrexham, spanning almost a century. The collection is available to view at Denbighshire Archives, for further details relating to our service, please visit our website http://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en-gb/DNAP-6ZQKTQ